Tuesday 23 October 2012

Cowboy Chilli con Carne Recipe

So apparently the original Chilli Con Carne comes from Texas, which makes me think of cowboys. 




And made me think about the fact that there are obviously no cowboy fairy tales, but does make you think about the possibilities about writing cowboy stories that feature a Texan cowboy who perhaps travels to Mexico where he adds beans to his dish.

Here is my Chilli Con Carne, which I have baked with my children. Looks a little messy, but the children love it.




You start off by cutting one onion, which you fry in a frying pan for about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, you cut 5  - 8 small carrots. 


You add the carrots to the frying oion and add black pepper, basil and chilli powder.


You then add 500 grams of minced meat (or Quorn) to the dish. 


After you have made sure that the meat (or Quorn) has been fried properly, you can transfer the dish into a baking pot, adding a 5 chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of chopped mushrooms and 2 cups of red kidney beans. 



And you can let it bake for about an hour at 100 degrees, to get that nice full flavour. I finally serve it with some Bulgar wheat, to make it extra healthy. 

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of Bulgar wheat before, will try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete